The 13th Meeting of the APEC Policy Partnership on Science, Technology and Innovation (PPSTI) was held in Viña del Mar, Chile.
Academician Professor Emerita Datuk Dr Mazlan Othman FASc and Ms Nitia Samuel represented ASM to attend the meeting from 9 to 11 May 2019.
At the meeting, ASM presented a Concept Note titled “Capacity Building Workshop Towards Supporting Open Science for APEC”.
According to ASM, there is an urgent need to remove barriers to the free flow of knowledge by enabling preservation, reproducibility and reusability of data.
Therefore, this Workshop was proposed to foster possibilities for the APEC economies to find means to tap into the data assets/knowledge to achieve the following goals:
- Finding collaborative solutions for regional and global challenges for inclusive and sustainable development.
- Encouraging researchers to build international linkages.
- Having science to inform policies.
The objectives of this Workshop are as follows:
- To build a community of purpose that works together to identify platform governance measures and technical know-how.
- To recommend policies to promote engagement and knowledge sharing among APEC economies through Open Science.
This Workshop was proposed to be carried out on the APEC platform to leverage on five aspects: