MOSP Signing CeremonyAugust 17, 2022
14th General Assembly – Blue Economy: Unlocking the Value of Our OceansSeptember 18, 2022
Winners Announcement - Science for Youth Global Essay Competition 2022
The Tropics are the regions of Earth surrounding the Equator. In terms of climate, the Tropics receive sunlight that is more direct than the rest of the Earth and are generally hotter and wetter. It is estimated that 40% of the world’s population reside in the Tropics. 40% of the world’s agricultural area and 80% of the world’s biodiversity is also located in the Tropics. Despite this abundance of natural resources, the region suffers from rampant poverty, the threat of infectious diseases and the worsening impacts of climate change.
The Mahathir Science Award Foundation tapped into the young minds of our future generation to find out how they think science and technology can solve the challenges of the Tropics by organising a Science for Youth 2022 Global Essay Competition.
With the theme “The Path Towards a Better Tropics with Science”, the competition is open to participants 13 to 18 years of age worldwide, who can submit their essays in Bahasa Malaysia or English. Aside from the prize money, winners will have their winning essays published in e-estidotmy and they will have the opportunity to interact with a Mahathir Science Award Laureate.
The judges for the English category are:
– Professor Emeritus Tan Sri Dato’ Dr Dzulkifli Abdul Razak FASc (ASM Fellow and IIUM Rector)
– Datin Ts Dr Mahaletchumy Arujanan (Executive Director, Malaysian Biotechnology Information Centre (MABIC))
– Associate Professor Dr Normi Mohd Yahaya (Chief Editor, e-estidotmy & YSN-ASM Member)
– Mr Kamaruddin Kassim (Director of Programs, PETROSAINS)
The judges for the Bahasa Malaysia category are:
– Dato’ Professor Dr Noraini Idris (President, National STEM Association)
– Puan Hajah Nor’Aidah Nordin (Deputy Director of Science and Mathematics Sector, Curriculum Development Department, Ministry of Education Malaysia)
– Mr Zamir Mohyedin (Doctoral Researcher at UiTM & Science Writer)
– Professor Dato’ Ir Dr Wan Ramli Wan Daud FASc (ASM Fellow & Professor of Chemical Engineering at UKM)
You can read the articles on the estidotmy website here.