The late Dr Ranjeet Bhagwan Singh was a prominent medical research scientist who made many invaluable contributions to the field of medical and scientific research, specifically in the development of diagnostic laboratories in Malaysia. His Medical Research Endowment Fund was primarily established to promote education of the poor and needy irrespective of race, colour, and religion. The Ranjeet Bhagwan Singh Research Grant is an annual programme under the RBS Medical Research Trust Fund to be awarded to one young Malaysian scientist to undertake medical/biomedical research.
Scope of the RBS Research Grant
- Maximum amount is RM 50,000.00 per award.
- The grant awarded is in the form of seed funding to help the researcher develop a novel idea that will go on to form part of larger grant applications.
- The project must be carried out in Malaysia and completed within 24 months (2 years).
- The awarded grant must only be used for research materials.
- The awarded grant cannot be used for travel, equipment purchasing (e.g., personal computer, laptop, printer, server, scanner etc.) and wages or allowance for temporary and contract personnel.
- The grant will be disbursed to the award recipient’s institution via the Ministry of Science, Technology, and Innovation (MOSTI).
Applicant must be a research scientist/ physician with the following criteria:
- Malaysian citizen currently residing in Malaysia.
- Must not exceed 40 years of age at the time of application.
- Possess at least a basic University degree qualification.
- Must be currently working in Malaysia at public or private Institution of Higher Learning (IHLs) or any Research Institute (RIs).
Research proposals will be assessed on the four core criteria:
Research Quality (50%):
- Strength of medical or scientific case.
- Feasibility of experimental plans, statistics, methodology and design, including provision of sample size calculations.
- How risks have been identified and will be mitigated.
Identification of potential impacts of the research findings for Malaysia and plans to deliver these.
Level of innovation and whether that is likely to lead to significant new understanding.
Value for Money (10%):
Whether funds requested are essential and justified by the importance and scientific potential of the research.
The recipient of the research grant should deliver the following:
- Submission of a 12-month Interim Report and endorsed Financial Report by the institution’s Finance Office to the Academy of Sciences Malaysia (ASM). The report should include the milestone achievement(s) and project updates according to the report format provided.
- Submission of additional Progress Reports upon request by ASM. The report will be presented to the Mesyuarat Jawatankuasa Akaun Amanah Penyelidikan Perubatan Dr Ranjeet Bhagwan Singh and ASM RBS Medical Research Trust Fund Programme Committee.
- The Final Report and institution-endorsed Financial Report shall be submitted to ASM within 3 months of the project end date. The Report should include the status of any publications or manuscript(s) in preparation.
- The Project Leader should publish at least one (1) research article in the ASM Science Journal or any other indexed peer-reviewed journal. The ASM Secretariat should be updated every six (6) months on the status of the manuscript until the manuscript is accepted for publication. A copy of the published article is to be submitted to the ASM Secretariat for its records.
- All applications must be submitted online through the ASM Awards and Recognition system at mytopscientists.org
- The research proposal and institutional endorsement form can be downloaded from the ASM Awards and Recognition system.
- Submit one (1) pdf file of the complete application comprising the following documents
- Complete application form (Section A: Knowledge Generation, Section B: Knowledge Dissemination and Section C: Impact of Research Output)
- RBS Research Proposal
- Institutional endorsement and proof of employment.
THE CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 31 MARCH 2022.
Contact persons: Ms Viontheni at firstname.lastname@example.org and Ms Sheril at email@example.com
For more information, you may refer to 2022 RBS Research Grant Information and Summary of Instruction for RBS Research Grant Application