The ASM Science Journal will follow the Harvard/ASM author-date style of referencing examples of which are given below.
In the text, reference to a publication is by the author’s name and date of publication e.g. (Yusoff, 2006) or Yusoff (2006) ‘conclude…….’ as the case may be. They should be cited in full if less than two names (e.g. Siva and Yusoff, 2005) and if more than two authors, the work should be cited with the first author followed by et al. (e.g. Siva et al., 1999).
All works referred to or cited must be listed at the end of the text, providing full details and arranged alphabetically. Where more than one work by the same author is cited, they are arranged by date, starting with the earliest. Works by the same author pub¬lished in the same year are ordered with the use of letters a, b, c, (e.g. Scutt, 2003a; 2003b) after the publication date to distinguish them in the citations in the text.
Definite rules for several categories of publications are provided below:
- Kumar, P & Garde, RJ 1989, ‘Potentials of water hyacinth for sewage treatment’, Research Journal of Water Pollution Control Federation, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 291–294.
- Hyem, T & Kvale, O (eds) 1977, Physical, chemical and biological changes in food caused by thermal processing, 2nd edn, Applied Science Publishers, London, UK.
- Chapter in a monograph
- Biale, JB 1975, ‘Synthetic and degradative processes in fruit ripening’, eds NF Hard & DK Salunkhe, in Post-harvest biology and handling of fruits and vegetables, AVI, Westport, CT, pp. 5–18.
- Conference proceedings
- Common, M 2001, ‘The role of economics in natural heritage decision making’, in Heritage economics: challenges for heritage conservation and sustainable development in the 21st century: Proceedings of the International Society for Ecological Economics Conference, Canberra, 4th July 2000, Australian Heritage Commission, Canberra.
- Website reference
- Thomas, S 1997, Guide to personal efficiency, Adelaide University, viewed 6 January 2004, <http://library.adelaide.edu.au/~sthomas/papers/perseff.html>.
- McColloch, LP, Cook, HT & Wright, WR 1968, Market diseases of tomatoes, peppers and egg-plants, Agriculture Handbook no. 28, United States Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC.
- Cairns, RB 1965, ‘Infrared spectroscopic studies of solid oxygen’, PhD thesis, University of California, Berkeley, CA.
- Footnotes, spelling and measurement units
- If footnotes are used, they should be numbered in the text, indicated by superscript numbers and kept as brief as possible. The journal follows the spelling and hyphenation of standard British English. SI units of measurement are to be used at all times.